It’s time again to look back on a year in my life and marvel at all the people, places, experiences, accomplishments and insights that transpired. Here’s a quick rundown, with many shout-outs:
- Met, fell deeply in love, and moved in with the woman, partner and support I’ve been searching for for so long.
- Played 7 rockin’ shows with The Real Numbers, including the release of our 5-song EP, “Wonderful.”
- Sang in my first chorale performance to celebrate the beautiful union of two dear friends.
- Treated myself to a full 10 sessions of Rolfing.
- Completed two 10-day aryuvedic cleanses.
- Left my product management gig Accela to pursue CivicMakers full time, and celebrated by burning all of my old employment contracts at an Ocean Beach bonfire.
- Hosted 11 fun CivicMakers events
- Launched a prototype of the CivicMakers knowledge-sharing platform.
- Also on the CivicMakers tip: incorporated, got a lawyer and a .com address (it must be real!), relaunched our website, started consulting, gave our first pitch, applied to YC, wrote a business plan, got serious about fundraising and so much more, with the indispensable support of so many.
- Attended Code for America Summit, SXSW Eco, Personal Democracy Forum, NP Dev Summit, Greener Mind Summit and a beautiful bay area gathering of the Enspiral crew.
- Soaked at Sierra Hot Springs, Harbin Hot Springs and Esalen.
- Visited ATX for Austin City Limits.
- Really felt the SoCal sun and sand for the first time during an incredible 1–day tour of L.A., San Diego and the O.C.
- Had a chance for a quick jaunt to the Seattle area.
- Took a super-fun east coast roadtrip from NYC to Mass for a beautiful cape code wedding, then to NH and Portland, Maine for some rocky New England coastline.
- Finished the year with a mid-holiday family/work visit to NJ/NYC.
- Concert highlights included: Sturgill Simpson, Weird Al Yankovic, ACL festival (Father John Misty, Alabama Shakes), King Krimson, Zappa Plays Zappa
- Cultivated a host of new friendships with some wonderful folks.
Yowza! All in all, a spectacular year on so many fronts, especially knowing this list only captures a small slice of 2015. I’m so grateful for all of you who made this such a special year, including those I may have forgot or not had the space to mention. As I age, I realize that relationships are everything, and I consider myself very lucky to be surrounded by so many bright, shining, beautiful human beings.
One final note: the last few months diving into self-employment and entrepreneurial risk have been quite the trip. Simultaneously the most difficult and the most fulfilling thing I have ever done, which means this is exactly what I should be doing. May all of you find the relationships, experiences and purpose you deserve in 2016. It’s out there waiting for you